Week 01, Apr. 2021
“With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding.” 〜 Sandra Lake
“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” 〜 James Michener
By LuxPin Team
◆ Chaminade Resort & Spa, a historic mountain resort in Santa Cruz, California, is now offering a special deal for people over 65 to help them get over their pandemic vacation deprivation. Now through May 27, seniors can get a room for only $65.
◆ The 14 organizations listed here are either aimed specifically at mature clients or offer experiences that are flexible enough to accommodate a range of travelers.
1. Walking the World: Based in Grand Junction, Colorado, it offers walking and hiking tours mainly for travelers over the age of 50 who want to be immersed in the destinations they choose.
2. Road Scholar: Beginning as Elderhostel in 1975, it was rebranded in 2010, recognizing the values and interests of lifelong learners who have participated in their lectures, tours, field trips, and pleasure-filled educational experiences over the years.
3. Adventures Abroad: It offers trips on every continent and describes their clients as “curious, active, and often very well-traveled.
4. Eldertreks: It’s an adventure travel company designed for people ages 50 and over.
5. Senior Cycling: Based in Asheville, North Carolina, it specializes in bicycle tours for active adults ages 50 and up.
6. Firebird Tours: Firebird Tours, based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, with international offices in Australia, Switzerland, and Malta, focuses on clients ages 50 and over.
7. Backroads: Backroads, based in Berkeley, California, specializes in active vacations.
8. Overseas Adventure Travel: Based in Boston, Massachusetts, it specializes in small group travel and offers a variety of trips to destinations on every continent.
9. EF Go Ahead Tours: Based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, it offers small group tours with 14 to 38 guests.
10. Kensington Tours: It specializes in creating privately guided trips based on clients’ preferences.
11. Intrepid Travel: Intrepid Travel, a leading adventure tour operator, offers tailor-made trips ideal for senior groups.
12. YMT Vacations: It offers a variety of affordable, fully guided land and cruise tour vacations.
13. Grand European Travel: Arranging travel to a wide variety of destinations for more than 40 years, it’s an AARP-preferred travel provider.
14. Country Walkers: Born and based in Vermont since 1979, it offers walking tours in Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, and South America.
◆ Each of the best airline-approved pet carriers makes traveling with your cats and dogs a breeze.
1. Best Overall: Sherpa Travel Original Deluxe Airline-Approved Pet Carrier
2. Best with Wheels: Snoozer Roll Around 4-in-1 Pet Carrier
3. Best Expandable Option: Mr. Peanut’s Expandable Airline-Approved Pet Carrier
4. Most Stylish: Wild One Travel Carrier
5. Best with Accessories: Morpilot Pet Travel Carrier Bag
6. Best Splurge: Away The Pet Carrier
7. Best Backpack: PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack
8. Best for Anxious Pets: Sleepypod Air In-Cabin Pet Carrier
9. Best for Cargo: Petmate Sky Kennel Pet Carrier
◆ Let TikTok be your vacation guide.
1. TikTok winner: Beautiful Modern Home in Alpine
2. TikTok winner: Ocean Views with Beach and Pool Access
3. TikTok winner: “Southern Comfort” Beachfront with Private Pool
4. TikTok winner: Gorgeous Home with Ocean Views
5. TikTok winner: Storybook Cottage Next to Downtown
6. TikTok winner: Slopeside Escape with Private Treetop Hot Tub
7. TikTok winner: Storybook House 2 Blocks from Ocean
◆ Train lovers and history buffs alike can enjoy this unique stay in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania on Airbnb. This affordable and historic whole-property stay is a vintage train caboose that has been restored to its original 1941 condition. Located near Interstate 80 off Route 220 between Williamsport and State College, the caboose is nestled near the Bald Eagle Valley trailhead for guests who love to hike, as well as close to Penn State University.
◆ Kleif Farm, located in the small town of Mosfellsbaer, just outside of Reykjavík, is a stunning oasis waiting to welcome you with open arms. At the farm, guests will find complete solitude as there isn’t another soul in sight, but all the modern amenities one needs to fully enjoy a vacation.
◆ Have a sip of Guerrero, Mexico courtesy of Clase Azul. Celebrate a lesser-known region of Mexico with a premium mezcal that’s perfect for sipping. Clase Azul Spirits, the world’s first luxury tequila brand from Mexico, is honoring one of the country’s lesser well-known (but still fabulous) states with the release of Clase Azul Mezcal Guerrero.
◆ The award-winning line of California-crafted spirits from The Family Coppola not only honors women’s achievements, but they are the products of head distiller Natalie Dale, one of a growing number of women in the distilling industry. Inspired by the great women in his own life, Francis Ford Coppola wanted to shed light on historic women whose stories are not widely told. He chose Dale, his winemaker, to lead the production of Great Women Spirits.
◆ Top Dollar reviewed over 500 one-, two-, and three-Michelin-starred restaurants, taking note of their cheapest menu options. There are 34 countries in the world with Michelin-ranked restaurants, and in five of them, Top Dollar couldn’t find a Michelin meal for under $100. Top Dollar’s final report features 25 one-starred restaurants where the menu comes in at under $50, including the world’s cheapest Michelin meal at Hostellerie la Montagne in Colombey-les-Deux-Églises. The French restaurant offers a seasonal menu for about $25.
◆ The forthcoming restaurant Miss River is Chef Alon Shaya’s tribute to The Big Easy. The long-awaited Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences New Orleans is opening this year, and with it comes to a signature dining that’s a true “love letter to Louisiana. “In March, the hotel announced that Miss River, helmed by chef Alon Shaya, will open in mid-2021.
◆ Set to open April 2, Pendry West Hollywood takes up an entire block of the Sunset Strip — which stands to reason, considering they have 149 rooms, 40 residences, a rooftop pool, an exclusive private social club (with impeccable midcentury modern design), a spa, and multiple restaurants by Wolfgang Puck.
◆ Scotland is about to get the Branson treatment. Virgin Hotels, the lifestyle hotel brand By Virgin Group founder Sir Richard Branson, announced its plans to open a new hotel in Glasgow, Scotland in 2022. The property, located at 236–246 Clyde Street, overlooks the River Clyde in the heart of Glasgow’s shopping area, making it the perfect basecamp for a trip to the city. The hotel, the brand explained in a statement, will showcase panoramic river views from many of its 242 Chambers and Grand Chamber Suites.